Emma has been diagnosed with Lymphoma. Its so sad especially because she was to begin her new life with me in Boston. Marc and Ben and Leah were so excited, anticipating her arrival for months. Sam and Jonathan, although sad to see her go, were relieved to know that she will be happy with me. Bringing her to Boston marked an end to an era for me. She represented the link between my past and my future. Now that the boys were getting on their own and Sam will be moving to LA with Jonathan, I want to settle into my life with Marc in Boston, moving Emma here marked a turning point. Sam said, "where Emma is, home is, that means Boston is home".
I made the decision to take her back with me impulsively. Sam had his last final at VC, the boys were coming to visit me in Boston next month so that meant that I wasn't going back to CA until later this summer and I didn't want to wait until then so I bought a crate and got her used to being it. That was a challenge in itself, she did not like it one bit, but I finally got her to go inside by tossing yummy treats just inside the door. Her hind legs trembled as she stretched her neck inside the crate to get her treat. Then I put a bowl of roasted chicken way in the back, she didn't even know she was inside when the door closed. I finally got her to sleep in it at night and she did for a few nights before getting her on the plane. When I took her to the vet to get her rabies certificate, the doctor found two swollen lymph nodes in her neck and chest. It didn't look good. Boxers are prone for lymphoma cancer, but she was so young... The tests were inconclusive, but since she was otherwise feeling good, the vet gave me the approval to bring her to Boston and take her for more tests. She made the trip just fine. When we got home we took both dogs for a walk, she loved walking in the woods but the dogs didn't like each other, Emma is much too rambuncious for ZuZu and agression broke out so we have to keep them on leashes and in separate parts of the house.
I took Emma to an oncologist at Angell Memorial, a huge vet hospital in Boston. She wanted to do more tests and x-rays saying it could be an infection or it could be lymphoma. I was hoping for just a dose of antibiotics and we'll be on our way, thank you. The news came back on Friday afternoon, I was at the book store reading travel books when I got the call. The news made me sick to my stomach. I told Marc that I didn't feel good about putting her through chemotherapy with the goal to prolong her life up to a year, but at what cost to her well being. I decided that I would only give her Predisone to alleviate the swelling and keep her comfortable. At most the vet gave her a month or two, I look at her and she is so happy so healthy. She bounces around like there is nothing wrong. Thats the beauty of animals they live only in the present, with no fear. I did a lot of research about this on the web and learned that a high protein, high fat diet is best, so I am now cooking for her. She loves the chicken breast sauteed with carrots, brocolli, bell pepper, spinach, I added garlic and tumeric for her health and she ate it up. For breakfast, I make her an egg with cheese and salmon.
Yesterday, we drove to pick up her meds at Angell Memorial in Boston. She loved the car ride and enjoyed just being with us. There is an enclosed dog park in their parking lot so she got to run off the leash, she is loosing a little weight but otherwise she looks and acts just fine. We took her for a walk in Brookline, she made friends with all the pedestrians and got lots of pats, she enjoyed the walk in the city and even crossed the street very cautiously, looking both ways. I am going to explore Boston with Emma, we'll enjoy the walks together. This morning I gave her the first dose of Predisone. I hope this is the right thing to do. I believe it is.
Lucifer make antichrist's TV moment
10 years ago


Hello Alicia and family,Emma,
ReplyDeleteI would suggest looking at nature and what Emma feels like eating, grass and leaves etc.We have an amazing plant here in H.K.It is like a mint that my dogs eat all the time naturaly.Other wise don't worry,dogs are strong and all work thier health out for them self.My dog went on for years.
Best wishes and love to Emma.
Claire.
Alicia,
ReplyDeleteSee if you can get her on Kangen Water. It is alkaline, it will clear her out. Diseases do not grow in acid free environments. This may slow down the growth for awhile and it will energize her. The process of ioniztion keeps minerals in water and will provide her with extra nutrients. If you lived here I could totally set you up, I even have a machine. If you need help finding someone in Boston, let me know and I will work my contact list.
I am so so sorry. It is so terrible when out beloved pets become ill.
However, I feel the same as you do with chemo and believe in keeping the animal as comfortable as possible for as long as possible.
Kangen website www.thekagenlegend.com explains it very easily and simply. Most well written info I have seen about this process.
Laura
\
First let me say how sorry I am to hear your sad news. Then, you've made some great decisions on Emma's behalf, and I wouldn't be surprised if she lives longer and has a better quality life because of your excellent diet choices, and all the turmeric. All your research may yield more alternative choices which will increase her well-being, and your peace of mind.
ReplyDeletelove to both of you,
Leslie