Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Shoppers Dream

I had a great time today with my new friend Bèatrice, the lady whose house I broke into last week. She took me to the Marchè aux Puces; the flea market.   It was so much fun browsing all the hundreds of stalls of antiques, furniture, art, silver, porcelain, vintage clothing and chanel and Louis Vuitton handbags.  Oh, how I wish I didn`t spend almost $2000 to fix her door, sigh... 


Bèatrice is very knowledgable about what century the antiques come from whether Louis XIV, XV, or XVI, something about the curvature of the legs, hmmm; and what`s real or fake.       You have to be very careful when you buy something because a lot of the vendors jack up the prices for innocent Americans who come and spend a lot of money on stuff that they don`t really know about,  like moi, you must always know the value of something you want to buy; then make an offer and be willing to walk away;  never never pay the stated price.  We were looking at a jewelry case filled with what appeared to be vintage Chanel jewelry, she told me they were very good fakes, the salesperson was not amused.  But they were good fakes at reasonable prices.   The next stall had the real deal and the prices were much higher.  It was so helpful to have her as my guide.  She introduced me to her trusted vendors who I will definitely return to;  it was really an education for me.

I did find a beautiful set of 10 perfect Limoges serving plates with matching cake plate from one of Bèatrice`s favorite vendors, the plates are red and white with exquisite gold flowers painted on them and the price was very reasonable at 200 euros.  I might take Marc back with me to get the set if he likes it too :)  I did buy a perfume bottle for 25 euros;  I looked on the Internet to see if it is anything of value and I think its a Baccarat.  Its not signed but it is numbered and many of the old ones are like that.  If it is a Baccarat then its worth over $400; at least its a nice copy.  Here is a picture of the one I found online  http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/m/mVu-mRBRufcYPMTis9JbGlA/140.jpg   

I can`t wait to go back there, I could spend the whole day and not even see everything.    



No comments:

Post a Comment