Friday, October 1, 2010

Hammaming in Paris

I like the pace in the South of France where they kiss you twice on each cheek, not just once, because they have the time.   Paris is more hectic and after 2 weeks of intense french classes, getting up early and rushing around in the metro, I needed a break.  I got myself over to the Hammam and discovered a retreat from the hustle and bustle of daily life. 

A hammam is a traditional bath from Northern Africa where everyone goes for steam baths, massage and relaxation.  Unlike going to a spa, a hamman is accessible to all and going regularly is a beautiful tradition and something we can try to incorporate into our own busy lives.   Too many of us are so busy being busy and taking care of everything that we forget to take some time out for ourselves.  No wonder the french have adopted this traditon.  While french women work and take good care of their familes, they also find time for themselves.

I entered the hammam and found myself transported to Morroco.  The beautiful moorish architecture evoked mystery and the exotic.    The staff was very friendly and spoke some English so it was easy to understand.  I was given a locker, a scrubbing mit and black soap made from ash and very good for your skin.  After disrobing, and showering, I headed for the baths and took a series of hot steam and hot sauna baths, alternating with a rest on warmed mosaic tiles,  I was beginning to feel very good.  After a swim in the indoor pool, my name was called for a scrubbing treatment.  The woman gave me a good rub down with the scrubbing mit and my skin glistened and tingled;  It was very invigorating.  Next I had a massage with argan oil which smells very nutty and is very nourishing for the skin.  By now I was deliriously happy, I took one last steam bath to let the oil penetrate my skin and then relaxed in the tea room.  I lay down on mats and pillows and sipped mint tea.  I actually fell asleep for a while,  when I awoke it was time to eat a delicous tagine with chicken and cous cous.   After 4 hours of bliss, I was ready to take on the world, but rather I decided to keep this sense of peace with me;  I thought: is it really necessary to rush for the metro when the next train will be there in 4 minutes?

1 comment:

  1. and here in Boston we re having our first snow storm... well ok... melted snow... but 6 inches of it tonight... and let me tell you, no matter what you may think... 6 inches is A LOT (of rain that is).... So under these conditions, what else to do but treat your kiddos to what they love most? A nice hot cheese fondue follwoed by a sweet choco fondue... and it s fondue, not fun-doo! Mwah!

    ReplyDelete